Friday 31 December 2010

HAPPY NEW YEAR... plus some musings on 2010.

So 2010 draws to a close. Personally, it's been a tough year mentally and I've learned a few lessons along the way (more on this below). After somehow fitting in a total rewrite - plus edits - of my crime novel, under the able tutorship of my agent, alongside a jam-packed family life, full-time work and editing webzine, Thrillers, Killers 'n' Chillers, I managed to keep my head above water... just! In between I also penned a dozen or so short stories, some of which made it into anthologies, others featured in webzines, and four recent ones are currently under consideration as I try to branch out to newer 'markets'.

Meanwhile, my beloved Manchester City are making steady progress near the top after 34 years of waiting! Perhaps I'm mirroring them with the writing journey, and 'success' awaits...?

Who knows what 2011 will hold for any of us? I'm still in that limbo of wondering whether my endeavours will prove fruitful. Maybe the global credit crunch is having a major impact on publishers committing to new authors. Or, perhaps, I'm just a shit writer!

The wait to find out has taught me a couple of important things, and they 'spring to mind' as cliches - guess that's why these cliches were initially coined.

Keep your feet on the ground... always. Never count your chickens... Don't put all your eggs in one basket. And the most crucial ones of all for wannabes... Never lose sight of the importance of family. Look after and appreciate your bread and butter - your job that pays the mortgage, because writing won't... not for a long time, if ever. Sacrifice, yeah, but get your priorities right.

I kinda new these things already, but this wait for news (it was mental torture at first to a sensitive soul such as little old me, but now I'm easy) has reminded me big time of my responsibility to my wonderful wife and kids.

HOWEVER, writing is my passion. I MUST do it. So I will continue with belief and enthusiasm. And, to end on another cliche: patience (most definitely) is a virtue.

A hearty thanks to all those of you who've offered support and words of wisdom throughout 2010. Have lovely New Year celebrations with your families, and may your individual 2011's be propserous.

Regards,
Col

Ps. This was initially gonna be me saying which crime stories, shows and novels I'd enjoyed in 2010, but, as us Mancunians say, 'I went off on one!' :)

13 comments:

Paul Grzegorzek said...

I'm with you buddy. It's been an interesting year for writing, with a failed publisher submission and one i've been waiting to hear back from since before Christmas, a job that i'm starting to loathe and various other interesting things, but when it comes down to it one quote that a titchy Mancunian keeps using springs to mind... "Tenacity is Key".

Have a good new year mate, and here's to our massive successes in 2011.

Unknown said...

Ditto, Paul 'n' cheers, bud.
BTW, less of the 'titchy'. You know I've got a few inches on you. :)

Sean Patrick Reardon said...

Col- You have been a huge help and inspiration for me in 2010. Thanks! I know good things are in store for you in 2011. and I'll be very happy for you and your family when they do. Best of Luck!!

SueH said...

Col - wishing you the success you've dreamed of and worked for! Maybe 2011 will be that 'breakthrough'year you've been working towards so far!

True, priorities need to be to provide for the family and keep a roof over your head and a regular income is fairly necessary for that, but it is nice to dream about getting that lucrative publishing contract!


(But some of us, ahem, will be able to give more time to writing in 2011, having given up the day job! ;-) )

Anyway - thanks, Col, for all your input, advice and comments through this past year!

Unknown said...

Cheers, Sean. That's nice of you. You've certainly made a very positive impact on the online writing community yourself, bud.
All the best.

Sue,
You're welcome, thanks. You gonna fill your time with a novel or two of your own then?
It's nearly midnight... have a good 'n'.
X
Ps. Regards to Malcolm! :)

Alan Griffiths said...

Happy New Year to you and yours, Col. Hoping you get good news about your novel real soon - I'm sure you will. Keep bashing that keyboard my friend as your sure have talent!

Best, Alan.

David Barber said...

Happy New Year to you, you lovely family, your bro and sis and their families!!

I'm wishing that 2011 brings you everything that you deserve. I'll be having a signed first edition...thank you very much!!

And, thank YOU for your advice, encouragement and guidance over the past year. I wouldn't be doing this if you didn't help me get my writing "mojo" back!!

All the very best, pal!!

Paul D Brazill said...

Happy New year, mate. 2011 will be a good un for you!

EC said...

Cheers to you, Col! Hope you had a great New Year- best wishes for the next.

Unknown said...

Cheers, Al. Same to you, mate. I can always rely on you to lift my spirits, and for that reason I won't mention the footy! :)

Dave, I'll hold you to that - my pen is poised. All the best to your beautiful family, mate. And, it's truly an honour to have played a part in your resurrection, considering the top stuff you're churning out.

Paul, cheers, bud. I see great things in store for you too!

Erin, I had a lovely time, thanks for popping by. Here's to a productive writing year for us all.

Jodi MacArthur said...

Col,
What you accomplished last year appears is super hero status which is enough to drive anyone over the edge, but you held on. Amazing what we do for our dreams. I appreciate how you stress how we must prioritize and put our families first. So true! I'm learning health has to come first too. (gah- all I want to do is write!)

I felt this a really thoughtful reflection, and cheers to a new, and hopefully balanced (and maybe bookselling?) new year for you!

Annie (Lady M) x said...

Happy new year to you Col! I wish you all the luck in the world with your writing... you really deserve to do well xx Annie

Unknown said...

Jodi,
Thanks for your kind words. I know you've had your own personal battle, and have soldiered on to provide us with some crackin' stories, so good on yer.

Annie,
Nice of you. I appreciate your ongoing support.

All the best for a great 2011.
Col