Wednesday 9 February 2011

Guest's Crime Fiction Choice - Jim J. Wilsky...

Continuing this new feature is someone I've found to be... 'Gentleman Jim'...

Jim J. Wilsky's Crime Fiction Choice.

Go Cup by Matthew C. Funk – April 2010 at A Twist of Noir.

So many good short stories to pick from, but this one stands out for me. I like tense, I like the edge and waiting for that bad thing to happen. This story is an absolute must read. Matthew Funk has many great stories out there and I’ve enjoyed each one. However, Go Cup grabbed me by the neck and shook me around a little bit. The characters, the feel of the situation, and the dialogue was fantastic. The State Trooper, well, he was magnificent and a story in his own right.

I won’t go into the details but this story will hold you and not let go. It never hurts to be able to relate to a short story. Years ago, decades ago to be more precise, I had a pretty hot Camaro. One night on a dark country road a County Sheriff pulled up behind me out of nowhere. I was very young and had an open beer can between my legs, oh and traveling well over the speed limit. I had several speeding tickets already. Not a good situation. Someday, I’ll write something up on that little nightmare but I’ll be lucky to come even close to this fine short by Matthew Funk.

I can’t recommend it strongly enough or do it justice. Read and enjoy Go Cup if you haven’t already. You won’t be disappointed.


Jim J. Wilsky is a central Illinois native with a lifelong passion for writing and storytelling. He has written over 200 published and unpublished short stories. He is supported and strengthened by a wonderful wife and two beautiful daughters.
Jim blogs here...http://word-counts.blogspot.com/

3 comments:

Paul Grzegorzek said...

Phenomenal story. Loved the feel, loved the fact that i didn't particularly like any of the characters, and the ending was ace!

Unknown said...

I thought so too, Paul. Enjoyed the 'Southern drawl' as well, giving it a stronger voice.

Paul D Brazill said...

Smashing choice!