Thursday 15 September 2011

Coming soon... Mammoth Book of Best British Crime... plus, other really interesting stuff...!

Things are on the up when an aspiring writer, such as little old me, discovers he'll soon be sharing the pages with top crime authors.  For years I've admired the likes of Mark Billingham and Val McDermid, and more recently Matt Hilton, Nick Quantrill and Adrian Magson.  So, when you throw in Sophie Hannah and Zoe Sharp, amongst other accomplished wordsmiths, you know you'll have a short story collection to remember!  I just hope my first ever published (in print) crime story,  MOPPING UP (Tonto Books) justifies its selection.

It's an absolute honour to be involved, so a big thanks to editor Maxim Jakubowski for showing faith in my story.  The Mammoth Book Of Best British Crime 9 is out on February 2nd 2012.

Sorry if this is a bit of a 'me post', but I also have a crime short upcoming at A Twist OF Noir in the ongoing '600 to 700 (words) Challenge'.  Plus, I've submitted stories to a couple of e-book anthologies recently (to be announced, even if I don't make the cut!), and also to Byker Books for the popular Radgepacket - Tales From The Inner Cities (volume 6).  So, fingers crossed...

And, yes, I'm still chipping away at the latest crime novel. Don't forget, if you wanna read about my exploits over the last eighteen months with New York agent, Nat Sobel, then look out for a warts 'n' all 'Chinwag' coming soon...

Well, that's enough about you, let's talk about me! :-) Seriously, what writing projects are YOU excited about, or currently working on?


Best,
Col

Ps. I've added a couple of pages to the blog 'n' tidied up a bit - let me know what you think...

26 comments:

David Barber said...

Congrats on the Best British Crime, buddy. I'm more than sure that your story will stand up proudly with the other authors!

You know what I'm working on. 5th Jan 2012!

Speak soon, buddy.

Unknown said...

Cheers, Dave. Hope you're right, mate. And, shit, I forgot about that! Off to do some more now...

Lucie said...

Congratulations! Looks like a good collection, I'll have to keep a look out for that in Feb.

Unknown said...

Hey, thanks for dropping by, Lucie. As you may have guessed, I'm looking forward to it too! :-)

Alan Griffiths said...

Many congrats Col and really well deserved.

Cheers.

Unknown said...

Cheers, Al. Hope yer good, mate.

Sean Patrick Reardon said...

Big time congrats and best wishes on all fronts. Can't wait to read the Chin wag

Unknown said...

Thanks, Sean. Hope neither of us are disappointed!

Ps. Piss me sides every time I see you in that hat!

Dean Crawford said...

Very well done Col, another step on your journey to be very proud of mate!

Unknown said...

Thanks, Dean. Can't help thinkin' by the time I get my act together - it could be too late with all this e-book lark taking over. Just read another article on printed books slumping. I'll keep plugging away...

Trying hard to stay optimistic...

Unknown said...

Congratulations Col, really happy for you. Such an honour to be included in the Mammoth books. Only upwards from now on.

Unknown said...

Cheers, Toe. Can't get over to Talkback as much these days, but still have a nosy now 'n' then.

Lily Childs said...

So many congratulations here I don't know where to start.

Bloody well done - all highly deserved.

Unknown said...

Ta, Lil.
x

Steven Chapman said...

Bloody great news, Col!! What a book to feature in! Well done mate.

Unknown said...

Ta very much, bud.

Dean Crawford said...

Col, don't get disheartened by the e-book revolution. Sales for them are indeed increasing, but what isn't reported is that conventional book sales have increased by the same rates over the same time frames. All publishing is seeing an increase in revenue - what's changing is that the likes of Amazon are taking a greater share of the market.
Stay focused on your goals, produce ever better work, and you'll break through eventually. If it happened to me...
Dean

Unknown said...

Dean,

Thanks you very much for that. I needed to hear it. I recently read an article with some depressing figures in it, and I knew it was really tough anyway. You know what's it's like, mate - sat at your desk, only other writers really understanding you as you toil away...

Your words are greatly appreciated.

Best,
Col

David Barber said...

Col, chin up buddy! I was a non believer in the e-book industry but when you really think about, things change and move on. Books will always be around, but so will e-readers and so will "deals."

Keep at it, mate. And do you know what? Just say, "FUCK IT!", get a selection of short stories, knock a few new ones together and jump on the e-train!

Now, where's that fucking brandy!!!!

:-)

Unknown said...

Cheers, Dave. :-)

In work for nine straight days now, so... grr... but you're right, mate.

Thanks.

Misha Gerrick said...

Congrats! It's awesome that you get to share a book with such big names. I think you deserve a "you" post. ;-)

EA said...

Wow, that's better than a boot in your hind end, what? Congratulations, Col. I think the new colors and layout are an improvement. Let us know when the book is available.
Elaine Ash

Paul Grzegorzek said...

Congrats mate, look forward to reading it/them!

Unknown said...

Misha,
Nice to see you over here - thank you.

Elaine,
Cheers. A pat ont back is way better than a kick up the butt... but sometimes we need both! :-)

Paul,
It's gonna be a belter. Ta, mate.

Author said...

That's two for two Col. Roll on number three.

Unknown said...

Sincerely hope so, mate.